Wednesday, December 20, 2006

And this is all about.........

In the Spring of 2005, I was working with a group of med school department chairs on a really thorny issue: how to objectively allocate research space to investigators. In one of a long series of meetings that was progressing along the usual frustrating lines it suddenly occurred to me that they were fully justified in being hard to get along with - they had a stake in the outcome and I didn't. I later made a call to someone (who would subsequently become my mentor) and asked for advice on training in facilitation.

On her recommendation I went to the IAF Conference in Tampa, and the first workshop was on something called graphic facilitation, taught by Jennifer Landau. Life has not been the same since.


In the Fall of 2006, after more training experiences including one with the Grove, I began to try to make some kind of sense of what was going on. In assembling the graphic above and collecting all the names and phrases that I had run into, I began to see that I was moving back into creative opportunities that I had not seen since leaving the School of Design at NC State in 1976. I also saw what I was feeling: ideas, questions and challenges are spiraling out faster than they can be managed and sorted through.

We'll see if this blog helps.

No comments: