Sunday, January 7, 2007

Concepts from Graphics

I think I just had a first-time experience with a graphic producing a totally new concept. I was asked to record a meeting about a possible new research center. 70 people had been invited, but there was no way of knowing if even 5 would show up. The meeting's leader didn't want to commit to any form of process, so it was agreed we would play it by ear.

That's a tough approach for me. Frequently accused of being anal, I prefer to go in with at
least one plan that will work, and then alter as needed based on circumstances. On this occassion I had recently been reading some of the Grove material about the improvisational aspects of this business, so I decided to give it a whirl. I also decided to try harder to "build an image" as opposed to just large scale note-taking.

47 people showed up - really great for the issue at hand. T
he leader gave an overview, and then invited the attendees, almost all of whom were research active-faculty, to introduce themselves and describe what they were doing. As you might expect, this consumed the entire meeting. What I did not expect was that the energy level never went down. No one left during these endless monologues, and the last to speak was as enthusiastic as the first. As all of this was going on I was recording at the front of the room on a 4' X 16' sheet of paper. Several people came up afterwards and commented on how much they liked it, and in reply I asked a few questions to ascertain how helpful it might have been.

Near the end of the session there were key comments made about the overall goal and about the use of "other people's money." I began to regret that the goal item was so far away from the start-up notes, as it seemed really central. Then it occurred to me that the money item was extra-significant as well. All this bubbled up in my brain about 15 minutes before a follow-up meeting two days later with the meeting leader. I can't work that fast in Photoshop, so I used a scissors and some scotch tape and away I went.

I showed my paste-up, and asked if this was all about improving health care in eastern North Carolina and using other people's money to do it. "That's a mission statement!" she exclaimed. The Photoshop version of what she was shown is here to the right.

No comments: